12195 Leon-New Albion Road | Conewango Valley, NY 14726  |  Phone: 716-296-8132  |  Fax: 716-296-5429
  

CSS Navigation Menus Css3Menu.com


  
 

TOWN HISTORY

Leon is the 3rd from the north of Towns in the western tier of Cattaraugus County.  It was erected from Conewango Township on April 4, 1832.  It received its name from the ancient kingdom of Leon in Spain.  James Waterhous suggested this name at this time.

Leon is comprised of 23,023 acres.  Much of the land has moderate hills.  It is subject to overflow from the creek along the western border.  Clay, sandy and gravel soil prevails.

The first to settle here were James Franklin and his son James.  They came from Monroe County in 1818 and settled on Lot 50 where they built a log house.  Abner Wise and his son Abner came from Ostego County in the same season and settled on 16 acres on Lot 49.  Mrs. Wise, Sr. was the first white woman to settle here.

Many people settled here in 1833.  By 1875 the population of the township reached approximately 2000.  At various times Leon has had many businesses.  During the early 1800 and 1900s, Leon had been home to many sawmills, dairy farms, cheese factories, a milk condensery, grocery stores, hardware stores, gas stations and taverns.  Many of the businesses have moved or closed.  Leon currently has an auto repair shop, one tavern (which was once a stage-coach stop), and a retail cheese store.  Today's population is approximately 1200.

Farming is still a large part of the Township's business.  There are many craft shops scattered throughout the town, with hand-quilting and hand-made furniture being two specialty items offered.  Tourists come to visit the shops, fish in the local trout stream, and hunt turkey and deer in season.

LEON HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Click here to visit